Students can pursue a minor in theatre or a BA/MLitt in theatre and Shakespeare and Performance. Our 3+2 program lets you finish your undergraduate work in three years and your Master of Letters during the next two years. Students may then audition for the MFA company to receive their terminal Master of Fine Arts degree in a total of six years. Theatre is one of three emphasis in the Performing Arts major and well as one of the main components of MBU’s Shakespeare and Performing Arts track — a coeducational, accelerated degree program with special networking and collaborative opportunities.
- Mary Baldwin produces five shows every year
- All women’s roles are restricted to students and students fill all production roles
- High level of opportunities to participate in productions allows students to get more exposure to theatre than they would at larger institutions
- Students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the area of the theatre that interests them: scene painting, set building, singing, acting, publicity, playwriting, stage managing, etc.
- The collaborative nature of producing each show reinforces skills in organization, teamwork, leadership, and responsibility
- Faculty work closely with students in all aspects of the discipline
- With professor permission, an undergraduate can take graduate classes in the masters level Shakespeare and Performance program
- Undergraduates are encouraged to audition for graduate-level productions
- Undergraduates are encouraged to pursue a variety of internships in professional theatre
- Theatre, by nature, is a lot of work … and a lot of fun
We will be having auditions for Almost, Maine on August 29 and 30 at Fletcher Collins Theatre. Please arrive at the auditions at 7 PM. There are reading copies of the play in Deming 010.
American Shakespeare Center
As the world’s only replica of Shakespeare’s indoor theater, the Blackfriars Playhouse, the American Shakespeare Center delights audiences at home and abroad with a fresh, energetic approach to Shakespeare.
The Motley Shakespeare Players revel in the ephemerality of theater with performances tailored to each audience and venue. Materializing out of the Shenandoah Valley and patching together the varied talents of our company, Motley Shakes reaches out to draw people into the creative acts of making and studying theater. Threading actors with audience, everyone becomes a Player as we explore, expand, and explode what the plays of Shakespeare, and others, can be.
Oak Grove Theater
Founded by a Mary Baldwin University professor, starring Mary Baldwin University students … more than 50 years old the Oak Grove continues it’s strong connection with Mary Baldwin every summer. The Grove is a wonderful outdoor theater with a five play season. The summer nights are filled with music, laughter, and drama as the Oak Grove Players display their magic.
The Outsiders, Hairspray, Beauty and the Beast, ART, just to name a few. ShenanArts brings the big name shows to the community starring some of the greatest in the area.
The Players have been “bringing community to theater” for more than 40 years. Located in Waynesboro, WP has a three show season with intermittent dessert theaters.