Mary Baldwin University in Staunton, Virginia, seeks to hire a University Registrar to provide innovative and strategic leadership to an office with an integral role in realizing the academic goals and mission of the university. The Registrar is responsible for the leadership and management of all administrative, operational, and technical functions of the Registrar’s Office, which serves a diverse population of undergraduate and graduate students on the university’s historic campus in Staunton, its new Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences in nearby Fishersville, and enrolled in MBU Online. The new University Registrar will lead the strategic planning, implementation, and assessment of registrar office functions at the university, aligning practices and priorities to support the university’s strategic plan and mission of empowering students to pursue lives of purpose in a changing world. The Registrar will foster an environment committed to student success, will stay current with best practices and regulatory compliance for federal law, state law, and accrediting agencies, and will maintain the highest standards of accuracy, security, and privacy of student records. The Registrar reports directly to the Provost.
- Research and implement process improvements and technologies that effectively serve all student populations within the university.
- Supervise the work of the Registrar’s Office, including to hire, train, direct, and evaluate the performance of office staff; to prepare and monitor the department budget; and to manage the annual production schedule and update as needed.
- Cultivate a strong team environment where participation, professionalism, an ethic of service, and commitment to inclusion and serving diverse populations are understood to be crucial to student success.
- Collaborate with the Provost, academic administrators, and faculty committees on the development and implementation of academic programs, policies, and procedures.
- Foster constructive and supportive working relationships with other offices and units within the university, including Admissions, Financial Aid, and Student Accounts.
- Plan and coordinate course registration and grading activities, produce the master schedule of classes, oversee assignment of classrooms, and work with the academic leadership team to establish the academic calendar.
- Oversee the day-to-day management of student academic records, course registration, recording of grades, and administrative tasks related to academic policies and degree requirements, develop and implement procedures for the storage and archiving of student records, credentials, and other important documents.
- Oversee evaluation of transcripts from other institutions to determine transfer credit, ensure that transfer student transcripts are evaluated in a timely manner for general education credits and for credit in majors.
- Supervise the preparation and release of official transcripts for current students and alumni, maintain official academic records, safeguard the integrity and security of student and alumni academic records, and ensure compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other federal regulations.
- Evaluate students’ progress toward degree or program completion; process and certify the awarding of degrees and honors.
- Work with the Provost to determine academic standing, resolve academic petitions, and communicate academic standing decisions to students.
- Provide required information for various surveys and reports to external bodies appropriate to the work of the office.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- At least 5 years of experience in a registrar’s office with proven leadership, administrative, supervisory, and organizational abilities.
- Experience in data management systems and use of technology to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Registrar Office responsibilities.
- Extensive knowledge of state and federal guidelines and compliance requirements.
- Ability to assess existing operations and procedures and find new, streamlined ways to improve service to students and support of faculty and staff.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of records and information.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively with students, faculty, staff, alumni, administrators, and other constituents.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
- Ability to analyze, solve problems, and make effective decisions.
Emphasis on Diversity
Mary Baldwin University is an intentionally diverse educational community, with a vibrant population of over 1900 undergraduate and graduate students in its residential and online programs. More than fifty percent of MBU’s residential undergraduates are students of color, and the University aspires to develop a faculty and staff that reflect its demographic. The University places a high priority on the cultivation of a community in which all students are both seen and heard. As such, we seek and encourage applications from members of groups underrepresented in higher education and with academic experience with diverse student bodies. Above all, Mary Baldwin seeks candidates eager to embrace and empower an ethic of equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
Review of applications will begin July 24, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. A complete application will include a cover letter addressing interest in the position, resume, and contact information for three references. Materials should be sent to the Registrar Search Committee at email@example.com. Mary Baldwin University does not discriminate on the basis of sex (except that only women are admitted to Mary Baldwin College for Women), nor does the University discriminate on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, age, disability, religion, veteran’s status, or sexual orientation in its educational programs, admissions, co-curricular or other activities, or employment practices. Inquiries may be directed to Director of Human Resources, SAC 312, 540-887-7367, Mary Baldwin University, Staunton, Virginia 24401.
Mary Baldwin University and Staunton, Virginia
Founded in 1842, Mary Baldwin University is a small, coeducational university offering a range of degree programs from bachelor to doctoral. It serves a growing student population on its main campus in Staunton, Virginia; at its nearby health sciences campus in Augusta County; and online. Two hours from the nation’s capital, located on the western edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the picturesque and historic Shenandoah Valley, the university’s main campus is on 58 hilltop acres and opens onto downtown Staunton, regularly named one of the best small towns in America.
The university welcomed its largest ever incoming class in Fall 2018, and it is a pivotal and exciting time in the institution’s distinguished 177-year history. A radical belief in student potential and in the transformative power of the liberal arts and sciences has guided Mary Baldwin University since its founding. Mary Baldwin’s history began with founder Rufus Bailey and what was then a revolutionary idea: that women, like men, should be well educated. A generation later, namesake Mary Julia Baldwin took the reins during the Civil War; afterward her cutting-edge innovations made the institution thrive. Augusta Female Seminary was renamed Mary Baldwin Seminary in 1895 in honor of Miss Baldwin, and became Mary Baldwin College in 1923. In 2016, the institution became Mary Baldwin University to reflect its growing range of bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs, and in 2017 the university welcomed its first residential men students to campus. Imbued with an entrepreneurial spirit, the university has repeatedly introduced new methods and programs at the forward edge of educational trends and societal needs. Emphasizing global leadership and citizenship, MBU is noted for high academic standards, strong leadership development programs, a diverse student body, and innovative programs including the Virginia Women’s Institute for Leadership.
Staunton is conveniently located in the beautiful and historic Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Known for its historic architecture and charming downtown, it is home to a vibrant arts and music scene and offers a range of excellent dining, wine bars, and micro-breweries. With five National Historic Districts, Staunton is easily explored by foot. Its compact downtown features over one hundred unique shops, art galleries and restaurants. Founded in 1747, the city is the birthplace of President Woodrow Wilson, and the city manager form of government. At the crossroads of Virginia, Staunton is a transportation hub with advanced rail, highway, and air access. The city lies at the heart of Virginia’s Education and Technology Corridor with nine colleges and universities regionally and a “Blue Ribbon” local school system. Staunton is within Augusta County which hosts corporate residents including Best Buy, Specialty Blades, Bruin, U.S.A., McKee Foods, Hershey Chocolate, and a host of other fine companies.
Opportunities to explore the arts and culture abound in Staunton. Located on the edge of campus are the Blackfriars Playhouse, the only replica of Shakespeare’s indoor theater, and the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library. The Heifetz International Music Institute makes its home at Mary Baldwin University each summer; along with the Staunton Music Festival, music lovers can fill the summer months with performances of superior quality. The community supports a thriving farmers’ market and excellent restaurants.
The Shenandoah Valley with the adjacent Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains offer scenic beauty and abundant opportunity for outdoor activities. The region features Shenandoah National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the George Washington National Forest, includes over 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail, and offers numerous other hiking and biking trails, spectacular caverns, trout fishing in mountain streams, golf, kayaking, and skiing. Vineyards and wineries abound in the region along with a growing range of other agribusinesses.