Summary of Positions:
Mary Baldwin University in Staunton, VA is offering two full-time, renewable, non-tenure track, 9-month faculty positions at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor working with undergraduate Biology, Health Science, and Exercise Science majors. One position will focus on teaching Anatomy and Physiology, Introductory Biology, Introduction to Health Sciences and other topics in the applicant’s field of interest in a rotation. The second position will focus on teaching one or more topics such as Introduction to Health Professions, Research Methods, Motor Development, Biomechanics, and Exercise Testing and Prescription at the undergraduate level. Both position responsibilities will include advising majors and senior research projects. Scholarship and participation in university, community, and professional service is required.
- PhD in Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Biology or similar science degree.
- Experience teaching at the undergraduate level:
- courses in Biology which include general biology, anatomy & physiology, and introduction to health professions, OR
- courses in Exercise Science and Health Sciences which include motor development, biomechanics, and exercise testing and assessment.
- Experience teaching in research methods and undergraduate research projects.
- Experience in undergraduate student advising.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in using various educational technologies for course delivery preferred.
- ACSM or NSCA certification preferred.
Emphasis on Diversity: Mary Baldwin University is an intentionally diverse educational community, with a vibrant population of over 1900 undergraduate and graduate students in its residential and online programs. More than fifty percent of MBU’s residential undergraduates are students of color and the University aspires to develop a faculty, staff, and curriculum that reflect its demographic. The University places a high priority on the cultivation of a community in which all students are both seen and heard. We seek and encourage applications from members of groups underrepresented in higher education and with academic experience with diverse student bodies. Above all, Mary Baldwin seeks candidates eager to embrace and empower an ethic of equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
Mary Baldwin University:
Founded in 1842, Mary Baldwin University is a small, coeducational university offering a range of degree programs from bachelor to doctoral. It serves a growing student population on its main campus in Staunton, Virginia; at its nearby health sciences campus in Augusta County; and online. Two hours from the nation’s capital, located on the western edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the picturesque and historic Shenandoah Valley, the university’s main campus is on 58 hilltop acres and opens onto downtown Staunton, regularly named one of the best small towns in America.
The university welcomed its largest ever incoming class in Fall 2018, and it is a pivotal and exciting time in the institution’s distinguished 177-year history. A radical belief in student potential and in the transformative power of the liberal arts and sciences has guided Mary Baldwin University since its founding. Emphasizing global leadership and citizenship, MBU is noted for high academic standards, strong leadership development programs, a diverse student body, and innovative programs including the Virginia Women’s Institute for Leadership.
Send the following information to Search Committee Chair, at HS-Apply@marybaldwin.edu:
- Letter of application addressing qualifications, teaching philosophy, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion across the university;
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information for three references (include e-mail addresses)
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Projected start date preferred is August 2021 for both positions. Mary Baldwin University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer and especially encourages applications from minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.