Mary Baldwin University (MBU) is seeking an enthusiastic, student-focused individual to provide support and leadership for building a safe, inclusive, vibrant, student-centered campus community. The position is responsible for assisting in the planning, policies, staffing, operations, and management of university residential life programs that promote responsible living through experiential learning.
Located in Staunton, Virginia, Mary Baldwin recently grew from college to university status reflecting its growing range of bachelor’s, master level, and doctoral programs. MBU is a very diverse entrepreneurial institution with a record of innovation aspiring to meet the evolving higher education needs of society. The Assistant Director of Residence Life and Housing will play an instrumental role in ensuring that MBU continues its development as a small university responsive to changes in society. Furthermore, the Assistant Director will provide the necessary leadership needed that will enhance the quality of life for students, through a sense of belonging and community, as well as encouraging meaningful connections and engagement.
Reporting directly to the Director of Residence Life and Housing, the Assistant Director manages two residential areas housing approximately 800 students and provides supervision and guidance to a team of Graduate Area Coordinators, and student Resident Advisors. The Assistant Director coordinates the recruitment, selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of residence hall staff, as well as the planning and implementation of programs to foster student leadership development, community building and socialization, and academic success. This position manages personnel and administrative processes and addresses physical environment concerns. This is a live-on position and the candidate must be willing and able to serve on the duty rotation which will require nights, weekends, and occasional holidays as necessary in the event of an emergency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the implementation of administrative policies, programs, and procedures within university and departmental guidelines.
- Assist with the application and housing selection process for new and returning students that can include informational sessions, application updates, room assignments, etc.
- Manage and maintain student housing records and data using StarRez and Jenzabar; in collaboration with other campus offices.
- Assist with the maintenance and accuracy of records associated with the coordination and completion of room change requests and room inspections.
- Assist with the management of housing waitlists with regular communication about the process and timelines.
- Serve as the first-tier administrative contact for residential behavioral concerns.
- Assist in the coordination of residence hall opening and closing.
- Works collaboratively with campus facilities in identifying and addressing facility maintenance and building improvements.
- Responds to student and/or family requests/concerns for information as appropriate and within applicable laws and policies.
- Works closely with Graduate Area Coordinators and Resident Advisors in resolving housing conflicts and crisis situations.
- Organize and implement the on-boarding process for all paraprofessional staff
- Supervise Resident Advisors through the Graduate Area Coordinators and provide ongoing oversight, mentoring, and accountability.
- Assist in the development of Fall/Spring Orientation and In-Service training for Graduate Area Coordinators and Resident Advisor staffs.
- Advisor of the Residence Hall Association and general oversight of the Area Councils.
- Oversee the evaluation process for Area Coordinators and the Resident Advisor positions.
- Support programmatic efforts for undergraduate Living and Learning Communities
- Participates in general staff meetings, divisional meetings, committees, and assists with on-campus admissions visit programs and new student orientation.
- Serve as a member of the On Call team duty rotation
- Assist the Director of Residence Life and Housing in the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of goals, vision, policies and procedures for the Office of Residence Life and Housing.
- Act in the place of the Director when the Director is not available.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, College Personnel Administration, or related field
- 2 to 3 years of professional work experience directly related to Residence Life
- Experience working with diverse student populations
- Progressive supervisory experience
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills; excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Prior experience working with Jenzabar, StarRez and Maxient Technologies
- Strong and diligent attention to detail and the ability to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Maintain a good working knowledge and understanding of current issues, trends and best practices in Residential Life and Student Affairs and ways to implement necessary changes
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Sarah Martin, Director of Residence Life and Housing at firstname.lastname@example.org
CO: Mary Barker at email@example.com