The Assistant/Associate Director of Advancement Communications will be responsible for implementing fundraising and alumni engagement communications strategy through storytelling/writing projects that advance the university’s mission. This position will report to the Executive Director of Alumni Engagement, and will work collaboratively with annual giving, stewardship, campaign, and alumni engagement areas. This position will also be the advancement division’s liaison to the Office of Integrated Communications, the university’s central strategy and strategic communications division. The ideal teammate will be creative, energetic, collaborative, attentive to detail and project deadlines, nimble and adaptive to a fast-paced environment, and value teamwork.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the lead copywriter for the division of University Advancement, which supports MBU’s fundraising, campaign, stewardship, and alumni engagement activities.
- Oversee implementation of messaging strategy to support the university’s annual fundraising and alumni engagement goals.
- Mine for, write and strategize creative ways to tell the stories of MBU’s diverse population of alumni, donors, and students that convey the need for philanthropic support, engagement, and donor/volunteer impact.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
- Direct response email copywriting
- Developing editorial and marketing content for the web
- Developing a variety of content marketing materials
- The nuances of social media writing (hashtags, emojis, acronyms)
- Ability to interpret creative concepts and adapt supplemental copy to support
- Creative and effective writing, rewriting, editing, and proofing
- Cohesively telling a brand story across multiple mediums
- Engaging a variety of internal stakeholders and external audiences
- Conducting research to formulate ideas or support writing
- Understanding of, and experience in, writing for organizational goals
- Work closely with the University Advancement team to develop and implement marketing campaigns, including but not limited to direct mail, email, website, and social media content.
- Work closely with the university’s Office of Integrated Communications to ensure that advancement messaging is represented in the university news and storytelling operation and on institutional brand.
- Contribute story ideas and articles (as needed), including but not limited to donor stories, alumni profiles, and stories of philanthropy and engagement.
- Collaborate with graphic designers as needed to bring creative concepts to life visually.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the university’s director of digital and social media to develop social media strategy and content that supports fundraising and alumni engagement goals.
- Manage the Alumni Website and the MBU Empowers campaign microsite, including content creation and routine updates.
Ideal Candidate/Preferred Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience writing across mediums; higher education experience preferred.
- Passionate about the content development process to solve business challenges
- Understanding of marketing cycles and stakeholder engagement
- Well-versed in message development and communicating stories through prose – both long-and-short term; campaign/fundraising or alumni engagement experience is a plus.
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and advance projects in a fast-paced/deadline-focused environment
- Ability to take direction while asking the right questions
- Experience and comfort working with a variety of technologies, including website CMS, social platforms, email platforms, digital analytics, CRM databases, etc.
- Hybrid or remote work options are negotiable.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Adrienne Teague, Executive Director of Alumni Engagement, ALTeague@marybaldwin.edu OR 540-887-7236.