The Manager of Purchasing, Contracts, and Risk Management will play an instrumental role in helping Mary Baldwin University improve its efficiency and effectiveness, reducing duplicative and manual processes related to the acquisition of goods and services across the institution. Reporting to the Director of Financial Reporting & Analysis, the Manager of Purchasing, Contracts, and Risk Management will help create new processes for purchasing goods, create savings through consortia and contract purchasing, and assist departments to improve the acquisition of goods. The position will be responsible for reviewing contracts and maintaining an up-to-date database of most contractual obligations across the university. Lastly, the position will ensure that the university is mitigating risk effectively through the thorough and timely acquisition, renewal, and management of organizational insurance policies of all types.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and oversee purchasing policies and processes at the university to improve efficiency, ensure appropriate oversight of organizational commitments, and to maintain budget compliance.
- Assist budget managers with purchasing needs including determining if a contract is necessary, appropriate account coding, and adequate financial approval. Guide purchaser through the appropriate approval process.
- Seek out and join various purchasing consortia and assist university employees in accessing preferred pricing through these relationships.
- Provide training on systems as appropriate.
- Develop, implement, and maintain procedures for contract management including, contract creation, review, and approval across the university.
- Review draft agreements for goods and services submit by departments and prepare for signature.
- Implement and maintain a database of contracts, ensuring that upcoming renewal dates and financial encumbrances are managed.
- Maintain contract templates, amendment templates, and standard PO terms and conditions for use by University departments.
- Risk Management
- Gather data and prepare annual insurance renewals through the university’s insurance broker.
- Manage claims submissions and tracking.
- Maintain approved driver listings and certifications for university vehicles.
- Provide Certificates of Insurance as needed.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures across the university to mitigate and manage institutional risks.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Significant purchasing/contracting experience, preferably in higher education
- Solid technical skills, and experience working with an institutional ERP system
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and ability to train end users
- Ability to maintain effective relations with employees at all levels
- Experience managing organizational insurance policies
- Negotiation skills and retail experience helpful
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.