The MBU Story
Empowering tomorrow’s inclusive leaders to pursue lives of purpose and professional success
Our team is growing! Join us, as part of MBU Online you will be welcomed into a vibrant community of professionals brought together by a shared passion in creating opportunity through education.
Come on the journey with us. We are writing a new chapter in the story of Mary Baldwin University. As an institution with over 180 years of experience, we have always risen to the occasion; today we live in an era of rapid and at times uncertain change, and Mary Baldwin and MBU Online are here to serve our next generation of learners. MBU is creating our next platform to empower students; to continue our story as an engine of opportunity for students, a talent platform for workforce partners and in the service of public-good as an engaged mission-driven organization.
Here at MBU, the Mary Baldwin promise is the personal touch we make in the lives of every one of our students. We do not just support our students, we form bonds with them. We do not just advise our students, we empower them. We do not just teach our students, we propel them forward. At Mary Baldwin you are a champion of students.
At Mary Baldwin, we are a proud #mbufamily, together we rise!
Here’s more information about the job you clicked on:
Mary Baldwin University is currently recruiting for a Director of Student Success and Advising in the MBU Online division. We are considering candidates in all US regions, however employees must be able to work during regular eastern-standard time business hours, as well as occasional evening and weekend responsibilities may be required for some roles. Travel, including to MBU campus facilities located in Staunton and Fishersville, Virginia, may also be required.
Please note that this is a remote eligible position. At MBU, we ask that our employees have access to a reliable internet connection and a dedicated, properly equipped workspace within the United States that is free of distractions and dependencies during business hours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As the leader of a new and growing team, you will work with MBU Online leadership to facilitate the formation of a vision and a team strategy for the Office of Student Success and Advising. You will work to position Mary Baldwin University as a leader in innovative, student-centered and hyper-personalized online education.
Specifically, the Director will oversee a “one stop” experience with a team of dedicated advisors, coaches, and other staff serving as the principal guide to the student for Mary Baldwin and as an advocate and vehicle of change enabling the student to be their best self.
Under the guidance of the Chief Online Officer (COO) develop and implement both a series of short term and long range strategies for advising, student success and retention efforts, and career services on behalf of Mary Baldwin University and MBU Online.
You will lead Advising, which provides direct service to learners during the early stages of their academic experience including exploring interest and assisting in identifying degree programs that align with students’ career aspirations, provide a regular connection between student and faculty, ensuring that students are regularly engaged in their learning experiences, and at time staging interventions when a student may be at risk.
The Director will
- work directly with prospective students, assisting admissions counselors in the decision making oversee the onboarding of new students
- provide a comprehensive “one stop” experience with a team of full-time professional advisors, guiding students on their journey and connecting them with additional resources such as faculty advisors and career coaches
- provide guidance and support to the First Year Experience, a specialized FYE Advising team
- managing success of MBU Online advising efforts through comprehensive success metrics, reviewing success metrics such as academic success, progression toward personal and professional goals and the attainment of meaningful skills, and the overall student satisfaction of the Mary Baldwin experience
Ensure the team is in compliance with advising playbook – maintaining team culture of high-touch customer service, by
- communicating regularly with students through phone and email for most 1:1 interactions
- ensuring students receive a response to voicemails and their emails as promptly as possible, typically within 24 hours business hours
- making use of success dashboards and other sources of data to make informed decisions to best support students
Operations: Student Success, Retention, and Engagement
Mary Baldwin University has a strong commitment to the success of each and every student. As the functional lead of the Student Success team, oversee and direct the daily operations of student success retention efforts including data driven intervention, coaching, and focused engagement to ensure all students can meet their goals. Coordinate closely with Faculty, Academic Leadership, and the Learning Experience team to ensure data findings are put to strategic purpose.
First Year Experience
Working closely with the Associate Director of First Year Experience the Director will ensure that Mary Baldwin University’s student centered strategy and personal touch is felt by every student participating in online and hybrid programs. This begins with the student’s first year experience, whether this be comprehensive onboarding for undeclared coming of age students attending college for the first time, a transfer student coming to MBU to complete their bachelor’s degree, or a graduate student who needs to be onboarded into the comprehensive suite of Mary Baldwin services – the First Year Experience team is our first stop for new students, providing them with a personalized experience that will enable them to tailor their learning and optimize their Mary Baldwin experience to their unique needs.
Career and Support Services
Whether developing career services unique to online/hybrid learners or interfacing cross-functionally with existing university resources, the Director will be responsible for building a robust suite of career services to support students in their goals for professional attainment either during their college experience or upon graduation. This may include building and growing a career coaching team, partnering with service providers like Handshake to provide students with real world work opportunities during their college progression, or working meaningful with college partners and external organizations in triangulating opportunity for students who are seeking employment after graduation.
- Years of relevant or specific experience: 1-2 or more years of relevant leadership experience
- Strong attention to detail and willingness to probe for deep understanding
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Demonstrated sensitivity to working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to collaborate with and motivate others of all personality types
- Excellent time management, organizational, and professional effectiveness skills
- Experiencing in managing multiple projects
- Bachelor’s degree/or experience at or above the Advising Lead-level (or equivalent Associate Director/Director-level) at a university or educational organization, or experience leading a customer service center focused on educational products and services
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to C.W. Webb, Chief Online Officer and Vice President of MBU Online at email@example.com.