Our team is growing! Join us, as part of MBU Online you will be welcomed into a vibrant community of professionals brought together by a shared passion in creating opportunity through education.
Come on the journey with us. We are writing a new chapter in the story of Mary Baldwin University. As an institution with over 180 years of experience, we have always risen to the occasion; today we live in an era of rapid and at times uncertain change, and Mary Baldwin and MBU Online are here to serve our next generation of learners. MBU is creating our next platform to empower students; to continue our story as an engine of opportunity for students, a talent platform for workforce partners and in the service of public-good as an engaged mission-driven organization.
At Mary Baldwin, we are a proud #mbufamily, together we rise!
Mary Baldwin University is currently recruiting several part-time Senior Learning Experience Designers to support the MBU Online Division. The Senior Learning Experience Designer will support the MBU Online Learning Experience team as a leader in design. This individual will work with the AVP of Learning Experience to create and implement design processes and develop exemplary learning experiences for MBU. In addition, they partner with the Senior Director of Business, Strategy and Operations to set up tracking templates in MBUs PM software to ensure all design data is captured. The Senior Learning Experience Designer will have demonstrated excellence in course design and development as well as an awareness of latest research and processes in the field.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy & Program/Course Design
The Senior Learning Experience Designer will engage in the initial stages of early program and product suite development. As an early ideator, contribute to the vision of the product, while articulating the scope and requirements of this work. Assist members of the team to develop requirements and product specification documents as well as program proposals. Ensure initial mapping and skill identification for all learning products.
The Senior LxD will also work with faculty/subject matter experts to facilitate the development of high quality learning experiences supporting the mission and goals of the university. Position requires demonstrated knowledge and ability to apply instructional design principles, learning theory, and educational technologies in the design and development of learning experiences. This individual will need to be proficient with designing experiential assessments.
The Senior LxD will work with the Sr. Learning Solutions Architect and the AVP of Learning Experience to create the initial MBU Online Canvas template and work up a high quality prototype to be showcased to senior leadership. In addition, work with the team to incorporate feedback and iterate on the template to ensure everything is up to date and meeting the needs of the MBU Online audience.
At MBU Online, we work with various vendors to assist with the development of our learning experiences. The Sr. LxD will assist in the oversight of the vendors working within a certain portfolio or program. Oversight will require meeting with the vendor consistently and reviewing their output to ensure it meets MBU Online’s quality standards.
Process and Organization
Sr. LxD will partner with the AVP of Learning Experience to set up consistent design and development processes. They would assist in the creation of visuals, documentation, and training to ensure everyone on the design team (including vendors) are utilizing a consistent process. Once the process is set up, the Sr. LxD and AVP of Learning Experience will assess the efficiency of the process and update as needed to ensure the design process is on the cutting edge of cutting edge best practices in higher-education and supports the mission and goals of the university. In addition, the Sr. LxD will work with the AVP to ensure the quality of our student learning data within MBU Online courses.
The Sr. LxD will work with the AVP to develop quality standards for MBU Online courses. In addition, they will create a MBU Online Quality Standards Rubric/CheckList for the review of courses. They will assist in making sure these standards are met through consistent quality checks at identified points in the development of a learning experience. The Sr. LxD will ensure the consistency and quality of the products developed by MBU Online.
- This position requires a Master’s degree in Instructional Design, Educational Psychology or a related field and/or demonstrated equivalent work experience
- 3+ years experience in higher education with a track record of innovation with learning technologies and an understanding of learning science principles and technology trends
- Experience building engaging course experiences in Canvas
- Demonstrated experience and tangible success in designing and developing online experiential courses. As well as experience with other models of course design.
- Ability to work strategically with many constituencies, peers, faculty, campus administrators, and leadership, etc…
- Leadership abilities in training, mentoring and coaching designers, new or otherwise, in course design, learning experiences design, and faculty relationship building best practices.
- Ability to take on new design projects with little oversight.
- Ability to identify needed updates, changes, and upgrades as necessary to ensure the design process is efficient and meeting identified goals.
- A thorough knowledge and experience with best in class approaches to the development of various types of learning experiences is required.
- Strong teamwork, organizational, and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Strong attention to detail and willingness to probe for deep understanding
- Demonstrated sensitivity to working in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management, organizational, and professional effectiveness skills
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.