Our team is growing! Join us, as part of MBU Online you will be welcomed into a vibrant community of professionals brought together by a shared passion in creating opportunity through education.
Come on the journey with us. We are writing a new chapter in the story of Mary Baldwin University. As an institution with over 180 years of experience, we have always risen to the occasion; today we live in an era of rapid and at times uncertain change, and Mary Baldwin and MBU Online are here to serve our next generation of learners. MBU is creating our next platform to empower students; to continue our story as an engine of opportunity for students, a talent platform for workforce partners and in the service of public-good as an engaged mission-driven organization.
At Mary Baldwin, we are a proud #mbufamily, together we rise!
Mary Baldwin University is currently recruiting a Student Success Advisor I. The Student Success Advisor I will provide ongoing and regular guidance and support to MBU Online learners as part of the Student Success and Advising team, a one-stop service unit that provides advising, career coaching and services, as well as ensuring that students are able to successfully navigate broader support services offered through Mary Baldwin University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Student Success Advisor I at Mary Baldwin University is the primary liaison to students, serving as their guide and as an advocate for their academic success.
Advisors provide direct service to learners during the early stages of their academic experience including exploring interest and assisting in identifying degree programs that align with students’ career aspirations, provide a regular connection between student and faculty, ensuring that students are regularly engaged in their learning experiences, and at times staging interventions when a student may be at risk.
- work directly with prospective students, assisting admissions counselors in decision making and overseeing the onboarding of new students
- participate in transfer audits for students coming to Mary Baldwin from community college and other universities
- work with students to create and maintain a degree map of their planned experience at MBU
- provide a comprehensive “one stop” experience with a team of full-time professional advisors, guiding students on their journey and connecting them with additional resources such as faculty advisors and career coaches
- ensure that MBU has the full picture of each and every student, so we may best support them in achieving their immediate and longer term goals
- communicating regularly with students through phone and email for most 1:1 interactions
- ensuring students receive a response to voicemails and their emails as promptly as possible, typically within 24 hours business hours
- making use of success dashboards and other sources of data to make informed decisions to best support students
- and at every step along the way enshrine Mary Baldwin’s personal touch, serving as a positive voice of encouragement, advocating for our students, and ensuring all students receive the same standard of attention and care from the advising unit
Student Success, Retention, and Engagement
Mary Baldwin University has a strong commitment to the success of each and every student. For the Student Success Advisor I, this means ensuring that the student success retention efforts for their advisees include data driven intervention, coaching, and focused engagement that ensures all students will meet their goals. This role will also coordinate closely with Faculty and the Learning Experience team to stage interventions to ensure student success.
Career and Support Services
Whether developing career services unique to online/hybrid learners or interfacing cross-functionally with existing university resources, the Student Success Advisor will support students in their goals for professional attainment either during their college experience or upon graduation. This may include building and growing a career coaching team, partnering with service providers like Handshake to provide students with real world work opportunities during their college progression, or working meaningfully with college partners and external organizations in triangulating opportunities for students seeking employment after graduation.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to create meaningful relationships with students
- Strong attention to detail and willingness to probe for deep understanding
- Demonstrated sensitivity to working in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management, organizational, and professional effectiveness skills
1-2 or more years of relevant professional or customer service experience
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.