The Senior Accountant serves as a full-time accounting resource for the University under the supervision of the Controller. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, journal entries, bank accounts and bookstore reconciliations, fixed assets, Life income and Annuity funds, monthly closings and various year end audit schedules and footnotes. Manages the online CashNet cashiering system including the set up of webpages for “stores”, mapping payments to the correct general ledger account numbers, and troubleshooting and resolving errors. This position serves as the back up to the Controller as needed.
Most Important Service or Results Expected from this Position:
- Prepare timely reconciliations of the operating, debt and restricted bank accounts.
- Prepare year end schedules for audit field work and assist with financial statement preparation.
- Maintain the fixed asset inventory and depreciation schedules on the Jenzabar system. Review purchases for fixed asset additions.
- Ensure that closings are performed on a consistent, efficient, timely and accurate basis in accordance with University policies and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Ensures that all assigned general ledger accounts are reconciled, reviewed and fairly stated in accordance with University Policies and GAAP.
- Manage all aspects of the online CashNet Cashiering System.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation of the University Bookstore and Virginia sales tax analysis on behalf of the University and send payment to the state tax agency.
- Ensure PCI compliance is being followed at the University.
- Upload payroll information from ADP into the Jenzabar system.
- Set up new general ledger accounts and maintain ledger system.
- Manage annuity accounts.
- Maintain a positive and productive work climate with an objective of supporting a culture of mutual respect and trust.
Minimum Entry Requirements:
Successful completion of B.A. or B.S. degree in Accounting or related field. CPA preferred. Three to five years experience working in a similar accounting environment. Strong knowledge of accounting principles applicable to private Universities and/or proven ability to quickly adapt and learn. Proven knowledge of accounting and financial reporting information systems. Excellent personal computer skills, including working knowledge of Excel. Ability to balance the demands of strict deadlines and multiple tasks while working both independently and in groups. Ability to maintain confidentiality and sensitive information.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume’ to Business-Apply@marybaldwin.edu.