The Director of the Academic Resource Center and Accessibility Services seeks a Graduate Assistant for the 2022-23 Academic Year to support student-success at MBU. This position includes coordination and oversight of peer advisors and peer tutors, outreach to various campus offices, including academic departments; program planning, and working directly with the Academic Resource Center. Job duties will also include direct work for the Office of Accessibility Services, entailing coordination of accommodations for students, as well as direct coordination with faculty and staff across campus. Previous experience and/or training in special education or supporting individuals with exceptionalities is preferred.
The assistant will hold weekly office hours in the Academic Resource Center, and is expected to maintain a professional and helpful demeanor in all interactions with peers. The assistant must be able to communicate professionally and should be efficient at Microsoft Office and Google Workspace, experience with survey applications is a plus. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and be currently enrolled as a graduate student at Mary Baldwin University.
- Support and general assistance of Director of ARC and OAS
- Assist in supervision of peer advisors and peer tutors
- Assist in management of Academic Resource Center space and programs
- Support students and faculty with navigation of academic accommodations
- Must embrace the core value of a Strength-Based Approach to student retention
- Experience with customer service and supervisory experience would be helpful
- Experience and/or training in special education is preferred
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs
- Experience with basic office equipment, such as printers, copiers, fax machines, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work with and present to diverse populations
- Understanding of and willingness to learn procedures for disability accommodation across undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs and in clinical settings.
Academic and Professional Skills Resulting from this Assistantship
- Increase supervisory experience.
- Increase or develop experience in coordinating staff training initiatives.
- Increase experience in developing and accessing programs that focus on student needs.
- Augment communication and analytical skills.
- Augment programming and event planning skills.
- Learn how to work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Have occasions to pursue experiential opportunities that will enhance the classroom experience.
Terms of Employment
This position is a ten-month position (August-May) which may be renewable. The work hours are twenty hours/week during the academic year, hours to be determined by the Director of the Academic Resource Center and Graduate Assistant. This position does require occasional weekend and evening duties.
Compensation is $5,000, meal plan, and up to an 18-hour tuition waiver (contingent upon acceptance into the Master’s Program at Mary Baldwin University).
To Apply: Contact Stephanie Hutchinson @ firstname.lastname@example.org