Mary Baldwin University is currently recruiting for a full-time Associate Director of Professional Advising to support the MBU Online Division. The Associate Director of Professional Advising will oversee MBU’s Professional Advising team as its functional lead. Reporting to the AVP of Learning Experience, the Associate Director will be responsible for the success of our students once they have declared their major. This will include both online and residential populations.
MBU Advising is a centralized one-stop unit within the university supporting both residential and online learners. This opening will need to be within a commutable distance from MBU’s Staunton, VA campus. The Associate Director will often need to be on campus to meet with learners, but there will be days where working from home is possible. The team this individual will manage is currently composed of four remote professional advisors. MBU takes a proactive approach to advising and is constantly improving data inputs to best support learners. If you are interested in being a part of a collaborative team whose focus is on the creation of a cutting edge advising unit, the team at MBU is for you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As a leader of a new and growing team, this individual will work with the AVP of Learning Experience, the Associate Director of First Year Experience and other members of MBU to assist in the creation of a vision and a team strategy for the Advising department, as well as the creation of an innovative, proactive, student-centered, and personalized advising experience for our Mary Baldwin students. This role will collaborate with leadership to identify clear team goals for our division’s strategic goals. They will then create a plan to achieve these established goals with their direct reports.
The Associate Director will carry a cohort of advisees. As an advisor at Mary Baldwin University they will function as the primary liaison to students, serving as their guide and as an advocate for their academic success.
Advisors provide direct service to learners during the early stages of their academic experience including exploring interest and assisting in identifying degree programs that align with students’ career aspirations, provide a regular connection between student and faculty, ensuring that students are regularly engaged in their learning experiences, and at times staging interventions when a student may be at risk.
- work directly with prospective students, assisting admissions counselors in decision making and overseeing the onboarding of new students.work with students to create and maintain a degree map of their planned experience at MBUensure MBU has the full picture of each and every student, so we may best support them in achieving their immediate and long-term goalsensuring students receive a response to voicemails and their emails as promptly as possible, typically within 24 business hours consistently enshrine Mary Baldwin’s personal touch, serving as a positive voice of encouragement, advocating for our students, and ensuring all students receive the same standard of attention and care from the advising unit
- make use of success dashboards and other sources of data to make informed decisions to best support students
- communicate regularly with students through phone and email for most 1:1 interactions
- provide a comprehensive “one stop” experience with a team of full-time professional advisors, guiding students on their journey and connecting them with additional resources such as faculty advisors and career coaches
- participate in transfer audits for students coming to Mary Baldwin from community college and other universities
Working closely with the AVP of Learning Experience and the Associate Director of First Year Experience, the Associate Director of Professional Advising will ensure that Mary Baldwin University’s student centered strategy and personal touch is felt by every student participating in online and hybrid programs during their entire time at the university. This begins day one of the student’s first year experience through graduation. The Associate Director of Professional Advising will develop communication plans, plan engaging student events/workshops, assist with the implementation of an advising CRM, and work closely with the various programs to understand the specific requirements of each. The goal is to ensure MBU learners feel supported each step of the way and that their experience is efficient and positive.
Student Success, Retention, and Engagement
Mary Baldwin University has a strong commitment to the success of each and every student. The Associate Director of Professional Advising will establish clear retention goals and develop plans to achieve these goals for their team. This individual will also ensure their advisors focus their efforts around data driven intervention, coaching, and support to ensure all students meet their established goals. This role will coordinate closely with the faculty, other members of the academic team, and sit on various committees to stage interventions to ensure the success of MBU’s online and residential students.
Career and Support Services
Whether developing career services unique to online/hybrid learners or interfacing cross-functionally with existing university resources, the Associate Director will ensure professional advisors are prepared to support students in their goals for professional attainment either during their college experience or upon graduation. This may include building and growing a career coaching team, partnering with service providers like Handshake to provide students with real world work opportunities during their college progression, or working meaningfully with college partners and external organizations in triangulating opportunities for students seeking employment after graduation.
- 2+ years of advising experience
- Previous management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to create meaningful relationships with students
- Strong attention to detail and willingness to probe for deep understanding
- Demonstrated sensitivity to working in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time management, organizational, and professional effectiveness skills
- Previous experience leading an advising team
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.