We Are Looking For:
We are looking for a high energy, results-driven self-starter to join us as a Business Development and Operations Associate. This position requires an individual who is a critical thinker, an effective influencer, and data-oriented multitasker. The ideal candidate can thrive in high growth, fast-paced environments dealing with ambiguous and often complex problems.
Are you someone looking to make an impact, driving business decisions through data-driven recommendations? Do you have a desire to gain an understanding of the critical intersection of business and academia, along with the inner workings of an entrepreneurial Higher Education organization? If so, this role is for you!
Reporting into the Senior Director of Business, Strategy & Operations, this role will partner closely with Product, Marketing, Academics, as well as external business partners to drive the execution of high-impact strategic programs. Together, this work will enable MBU to provide an innovative set of market-differentiated and market-driven educational offerings. An excellent candidate is someone who can readily toggle between strategic-thinking and tactical execution: you understand the details, the big picture, and how to execute.
You will play an active role in building the strategic direction, execution frameworks, operational processes, KPIs, and team structures that drive growth. Success in this role will require taking an analytical, resourceful, and organized approach to problem solving, coupled with an ability to influence and drive results.
In This Role You Will:
- Leverage data analysis and research skills to identify key trends related to business intelligence and identify potential opportunities
- Apply market insights, analysis, and partner research to contribute to recommendations on major strategic decisions related to course offerings, degrees, experiential learning collaborations and corporate partnerships, to name a few, while supporting the development of short and long-term business plans for the university
- Develop actionable insights regarding the competitive market including competitor profiles, SWOT/SOAR analysis, market sizing/growth trends, and product roadmaps/strategies
- Prepare informative, meaningful, and comprehensible reports and presentations to facilitate the interpretation of data
- Work cross functionally to structure problems, formulate hypotheses, conduct research to enable data-driven decision making and drive results
- Consult with management and stakeholders to identify, define and monitor business goals.
- Manage product portfolios in project management tool (Asana), building reports and dashboards to convey health and status of existing work on regular cadence
- Ensure that projects/programs are proceeding according to scope, schedule, budget, and quality standards
We Are Looking For Someone Who Is:
- A self-starter with a high affinity for identifying and solving problems
- An independent thinker with a passion for taking ideas from initial analysis to execution in collaboration with cross functional stakeholders
- A collaborative team player with ability to read and navigate competing priorities
- A systems thinker with creative, analytical, and quantitative skills
- An organized, flexible, and proactive executor accustomed to fast-paced environments
What We’ll Do For You:
- Provide consistent opportunities to gain new experiences, learn, grow, and advance your career
- Support your desired work-life balance
- Provide an inclusive environment where trust and different perspectives are valued and rewarded
- Empower you to identify additional areas of work and chart your own path
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Two years of professional work experience with demonstrated business acumen
- Experience working in higher education, product management, business development, management consulting, finance, or market research is a plus
- Collaboration Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to navigate a matrix environment and work effectively across multiple groups and levels
- Communication Skills: Exceptional oral, visual and written communication skills to effectively collect, analyze, format, validate and present information
- Analytical Skills: Able to identify and structure ambiguous problems and/or opportunities for improvement, assess viable solutions, and take action
- Project Management Skills: Experience managing concurrent projects and activities with a high degree of quality and accuracy; Proficiency with Asana or similar PM software is preferred
- Data Visualization and Report Preparation Skills: Proficiency with tools such as Excel and Tableau to analyze and model data (qualitative and quantitative); Ability to build visuals and presentations in Adobe and Microsoft products
- Organization Skills: Demonstrated capacity to effectively manage many projects and activities; including ability to assess competing priorities; strong attention to detail
- Adaptability: Ability to quickly adjust to changing priorities and conditions while maintaining organization and control; Ability to juggle a wide range of tasks
- Self-Motivated: Demonstrated capability to operate autonomously with a high level of ownership and a strong sense of urgency
This is a 100% remote position, but a hybrid work model can be accommodated, if in the Staunton, VA area. The employee can live in any state, however candidates must be willing to work EST hours. Minimal travel (~10%) is expected with this position. Mary Baldwin University offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive package of benefits.
Don’t meet every single requirement? At MBU we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
All interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letters should be responsive to the mission of Mary Baldwin University as well as the responsibilities and qualifications presented in the job description.