Undergraduate Tuition and Fee Information

For tuition and fee information specific to graduate programs, please see the College of Education, Master of Business Administration, Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences, and Shakespeare and Performance sections.

Tuition and Fees for Undergraduate Residential Programs

The comprehensive fee for students in the Mary Baldwin College for Women and University College during the 2018–19 academic year is $40,495 ($30,690 for tuition, $275 student organization fee, $120 technology fee, and $9,410 for room and board). The additional PEG housing fee is $1,250. Financial aid packages based on both merit and need can substantially reduce the actual out-of-pocket cost. The university offers a variety of services to assist students and families in financing a private college education.

There are no lecture or practice teaching fees. Some classes have fees for private music lessons, art materials, lab fees, field trips, use of facilities not belonging to the university, or other extraordinary expenses. For details, see the course descriptions in this catalog.

Annual Deposit
All residential students who intend to return to Mary Baldwin for the succeeding academic year, including those participating in overseas programs and/or the consortium program, must make a deposit of $300 by March 1, which is credited to payment of fees for the next session. This deposit will be returned only if the student is advised to withdraw or is prevented by causes beyond her control from returning to college. Students who plan to return to Mary Baldwin University for the following fall, are in good standing, and have made their deposit for the following year are given the opportunity to enter the MBU housing lottery. Eligible students will select housing based on a priority list that weighs a combination of factors including academic performance and class year. Assignments of rooms for upperclassmen are made shortly after spring break.

Monthly Payment Plan
Fees that are normally due in one large lump sum at the beginning of each semester may be paid in 8 equal monthly installments. There are no interest or finance charges — only an administration fee of $30 per semester. For additional information, please log in to mymbu.marybaldwin.edu and click on Student Information. Click on Monthly Payment Plan under Business and Finance.

Half-Price Tuition Plan
Students who have completed eight semesters of full time work in classes on the MBU campus may enroll in additional on-campus classes for half of the usual applicable tuition charge if approved by the registrar. Students must be eligible for readmission to MBU. They may live off campus. On-campus housing is subject to availability and will be charged at full price. To take advantage of the half-price tuition, no more than 12 months may have elapsed since the date of last enrollment. Graduate and summer courses are not available at half-price. MBU will help the student get external grants and loans, but no institutional aid will be available to students under this plan.

College for Women and University College Schedule of Payments 2018–19

Resident Students
Direct Cost (tuition and fees, room and board): $40,495
(Fees include: Student Organization Fee $275, Technology Fee $120)

Payable as follows:
Advance Deposit (nonrefundable) due:
March 1 from returning students: $300
May 1 from new students: $300
August 1 from all students (less Advance Deposit payment): $20,247.50
December 1 from all students: $20,247.50

Commuter Students
Direct Cost (tuition and fees): $31,085
(Fees include: Student Organization Fee $275, Technology Fee of $120)

Payable as follows:
Advance Deposit (nonrefundable) due:
March 1 from returning students: $300
May 1 from new students: $300
August 1 from all students (less Advance Deposit payment): $15,542.50
December 1 from all students: $15,542.50

Part-Time Students
Fewer than 12 semester hours during fall or spring semesters: $460 per semester hour and a $60 Technology Fee. Students in the College for Women or University College attempting fewer than 12 semester hours are considered commuter students and are charged accordingly. The internship fee for part-time students is $230 per semester hour and is charged for any 287 or 387 course. The audit fee is $230 per semester hour.

Summer Term
Individual course credits taken during the summer
• Summer coursework (2018–19): $460 per s.h.
• Internship Fee (2018–19): $230 per s.h.

Note: Advance Deposit payments are nonrefundable for first-year and transfer students after May 1. Advance Deposit payments for all returning students are nonrefundable.

Partial-Year Students
Full-time students residing at MBU for the fall or spring term will be charged $20,247.50 Commuter students enrolling for either period will be charged $15,542.50. There will be no additional charge for attending the May Term (for currently enrolled students). For student-teaching, social work and internships being done off-campus during fall or spring semesters under faculty supervision, students will be charged as half-year commuter students. If a student wishes room and board on campus while performing an internship off campus, student is charged as a boarding student.

Clinical Lab Science Program, Clinical Year
Students taking their Clinical Lab work with Augusta Health (AH) will be billed ½ price of the current per semester hour rate. MBU will not be involved in any payment to AH for applicable fees. Any refund available will be given to the student who will be responsible for payment to AH. The cost of AH fees may be included in the student’s cost of attendance for aid purposes. Mary Baldwin aid will not be awarded to students who are not being charged the comprehensive fee.

Special Costs

Administrative Fees
A student, who is enrolled but is off-campus for an entire year on an approved program not under faculty supervision (i.e., clinical laboratory science and studies abroad), will be charged a per-semester fee of $260. A student who is granted a leave of absence or withdraws from the university and is issued a credit will be assessed an administrative fee of $105.

Transcript of Record
Transcripts are issued upon request. A student’s financial record must be cleared of all charges before a transcript of record is issued.
• Transcripts: $6 per copy; $8 if sent by U.S. mail
• Graduation Fee (seniors only): $100

Special Course Fees
Music Lessons: Individual Applied Music Lessons will be charged on a per-semester basis. Pre-approved music majors and minors take Primary Applied Lessons (200-level, two credits/60-minute lessons). Most other students take Elective Applied Lessons (100-level, one credit/30-minute lessons). Students with questions about their status should consult the music department. Fees: twelve 30-minute lessons: $230; twelve 60-minute lessons: $450. Approved music majors or minors receive reduced fee: twelve 30- minute lessons: $130; twelve 60-minute lessons: $175. Reduced fees are based on certification by the music department at the beginning of each semester. A student who drops applied music lessons after the second lesson, posted as a withdraw (W), will be billed for the full lesson fee for a given term.

Fine Arts: A number of studio art courses require a student to pay for expendable materials. THEA 101 require students to pay for theatre tickets. For specific fees, consult course section of this catalog or the instructor in charge of the course.

Science Courses: Some science courses with labs require a nominal lab fee. See course descriptions in this catalog for more information.

Physical and Health Education: Some physical and health education courses require special fees. See course descriptions in this catalog for more information.

Graduate Courses: Prior to admission to an MBU graduate program, students may only take two graduate courses (six semester hours). Following admission to a graduate program, students may take additional graduate courses, but will be assessed an additional nominal fee to do so, beyond the first six semester hours. Students should check the appropriate graduate program section for semester hour limits on graduate courses prior to BA conferral.

Special Housing Fees
A charge is added to room cost on a semester basis for the following locations:
• Single room: $650 per semester
• Carriage House, King, Scott House, and Woodrow Terrace Apartments: $175 per semester
• Pet cleaning fee*: $250 per semester
*Only service animals allowed; advanced approval required.

Lost Dorm Keys
• Fine for replacement of lost room keys: $30
• Fine for the replacement of lost keys to outside doors: $55

Note: Students are strongly encouraged to obtain a key to their individual rooms at the beginning of the school year.

Damage or Loss of Personal Possessions
Damage to or of personal property is not covered by the university’s insurance. MBU assumes no responsibility for damage or loss of any article left on its premises at any time.

Students must register their cars with the campus security office and pay the following fees each year:
• Residential students: $50
• Commuter students: $20
• Second decal: $5

Conditions of Payment

Charges are listed for the university year. Fifty percent of the comprehensive fee is due by August 1. The balance for all students is due by the start of spring classes in January. Payments must be made before students can register for classes.

Deadlines for Payment
Students will not be permitted to begin classes until all tuition and fee payments for the first semester have been paid, and will not be permitted to begin second semester classes until all tuition and fee payments have been paid. In order for seniors to participate in Commencement activities, all financial obligations must have been paid two weeks before graduation day. In order for juniors, sophomores and first-year students to participate in Room Draw, all financial obligations must be paid. The university policy for all students is that past and current obligations must be paid in full as a precondition to register or reside on campus.

Note: The University will not issue transcripts or diplomas if any outstanding balances are due to the MBU business office or bookstore.

Finance Charges
An interest charge of 15% a year may be applied to outstanding balances owed after October 15 for the fall semester and February 15 for the spring semester.

Collection Procedures
Active collection efforts are made by MBU personnel to collect delinquent payments from current students. When a student who has withdrawn from the university has a delinquent account, MBU pursues legal means to collect balances due. If the university must refer unpaid obligations to a collection agency, the university includes the full cost of collection and/or attorney fees as part of the outstanding obligation.

Credit and Refund Policy

MBU arranges for instruction and services in advance on an annual basis. Therefore, charges for residential students are listed for the entire year with billings and payments based on first and second semesters. Charges for the year may be paid in two installments: August 1 for the first semester, and December 1 for the second semester. Credits and refunds are based on first and second semester. Credits outstanding at the end of first semester are applied to second semester of the same academic year. Credits outstanding at the end of second semester are applied to charges for first semester of the following academic year. No student will be permitted to register or reside on campus until applicable charges for the current semester have been paid in full. The Student Accounts Office assumes responsibility for the administration of university policy related to payment of fees.

Application for Credits and Refunds
The date on which written notice is received by the university is considered the date of withdrawal. Refunds are made only to the guarantor of the student’s financial obligation. If there is a prepaid deposit, it is applied to bills due at time of re-entry; such deposits are nonrefundable.

Returned Check Policy
Students will be charged a $28 fee for any check received in payment of any obligation that is returned by the bank.

Counseled Withdrawal
In the event a counseled withdrawal is granted, a refund is issued based on the pro rata portion of the prepaid tuition and room and board, less a $105 administrative fee. Students approved for counseled withdrawal will not be charged for second semester if withdrawal occurs prior to registration day for second semester. If a counseled withdrawal is granted subsequent to registration day for second semester, a refund will be issued based on the pro rata portion of the prepaid tuition, room and board, less a $105 administrative fee. MBU Online students who formally “stop out” during a semester in which they have enrolled in new coursework are eligible for a pro rata refund less a $105 administrative fee.

Disciplinary Withdrawal
Students who withdraw for disciplinary reasons receive a refund in accordance with the pro rata schedule for the semester in which the penalty is determined. If withdrawal occurs prior to registration day for the second semester, students are not charged for second semester.

Academic Withdrawal
Students required to withdraw for academic reasons at the end of the first semester are not charged for the second semester. Students required to withdraw for academic reasons at the end of the second semester receive a refund for the $300 advance deposit they paid for the upcoming academic year.

Authorized Leave of Absence
When an authorized leave is granted, a credit is issued based on the pro rata portion of prepaid tuition and room and board applicable to first semester and/or second semester less a $105 administrative fee. When an authorized leave of absence is granted prior to second semester registration day, the student is not charged for the second semester.

Medical Leave
When a medical leave is granted, credit is issued based on the pro rata portion of the prepaid tuition and room and board fees, less a $105 administrative fee. If the leave occurs prior to second semester registration day, students are not charged for the second semester.

Board Refunds
Board refund for basic food costs may be granted only on a semester basis in rare cases when, in the judgment of the university physician, there are medical conditions warranting exemption from the meal plan. A student requesting exemption must first schedule an appointment to see the university physician through the MBU Health Services Center. The student will be referred to an appropriate medical specialist for an evaluation of her condition. All off-campus medical evaluations will be at a student’s expense. The university physician will make a final recommendation to the vice president for business and finance based on documentation from the medical specialist.

Pro Rata Refund Procedures

What is a Pro Rata Refund?
The Higher Education Amendments of 1992 define a pro rata refund as a refund to a student of not less than that portion of the tuition, fees, room, board, and other charges assessed the student equal to the portion of the enrollment period for which the student has been charged that remains on the last day of attendance, minus any unpaid student charges, and minus a reasonable administrative fee.

When and How Are Pro Rata Refunds Applied?
The pro rata refund is applicable to students who withdraw from the institution within 60 percent or less of the enrollment period (beginning of classes to the end of exam period). After the 60% mark, refunds are not granted.

Classes begin September 3, 2018, and exams end December 14, 2018, for terms 1 and 2. Classes begin January 7, 2019, and exams end April 22, 2019, for terms 3 and 4. May Term (Term 5) begins April 24, 2019, and ends May 14, 2019. There is no additional charge for attending the May Term for currently enrolled full-time MBCW or UC students.

For students subject to the institutional refund policy, the MBU Student Accounts Office calculates a federal refund amount according to regulatory requirements.

Federal law requires refunds to be returned in the following order: Direct Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans, Perkins Loans, Pell Grants, SEOG Grants, Institutional Aid.

Dates noted above may need to be adjusted to reflect posted schedules for graduate programs. An additional administration fee of $105 will be charged.

Please note that if a student has a federal student loan, any type of withdrawal or leave causes the student to be reported as “withdrawn” to the National Student Loan Database. The student’s federal loan grace period will begin from the date of determination, which is the date the student provides official notification to the institution requesting to withdraw or take a leave of absence. Unofficial withdrawals (where a student ceases attendance without providing official notification to the institution) that result in a student’s failure to earn a passing grade in any class will be subject to Return of Title IV Funds regulations based on faculty reported last date of attendance. Contact the Financial Aid office for more information.

MBU Online Tuition and Fees
The total cost of the program varies depending on the student’s background and previous college work.

Tuition per Semester Hour
• Regular course work — $460 per semester hour*
• Internships — $230 per semester hour (only classes numbered 287 or 387)

Special Costs
• Orientation Fee — $50*
• Extended Time Fee — $65 per semester hour
• Prior Learning Portfolio Evaluation — $460 per portfolio (Cost equals one credit hour per portfolio.)
• Re-activation Fee — $50
• Graduation Fee — $100*
• Administrative Withdrawal Fee — $105 (in addition to any tuition that is due)
• Technology Fee — $60.00 per semester*
*Fees applicable to RN to BSN Program

Graduate Courses: Prior to admission to an MBU graduate program, students may only take two graduate courses (six semester hours). Following admission to a graduate program, students may take additional graduate courses, but will be assessed an additional nominal fee to do so, beyond the first six semester hours. Students should check the appropriate graduate program section for semester hour limits on graduate courses prior to BA conferral.

Graduate Tuition and Fees

Graduate tuition and fee information is included with the general information on each program. For more information, see the College of Education, Master of Business Administration, Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences, and Shakespeare and Performance sections.

Financial Aid

Student Financial Aid
The Office of Financial Aid and Student Campus Employment at Mary Baldwin University is committed to making a private education available to as many well qualified students as possible. In fact, over 97% of our traditional-age students rely on some form of merit or need-based financial aid to help meet the cost of a college education. The university participates in a wide range of federal, state, and institutional aid programs. Each program has its own regulatory demands and requirements. The exact amount of an aid award can be determined only after completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The Office of Financial Aid and Student Campus Employment strives to make the aid process as uncomplicated as possible. We understand, however, that families and students are faced with questions and concerns regarding financial aid. The professional staff is available Monday through Friday 8:30–4:30 at 540-887-7022 and by e-mail at finaid@marybaldwin.edu to offer assistance.

Eligibility Requirements for Aid
Since Mary Baldwin actively participates in a number of federal aid programs, the requirements for federal aid are used as the core requirements for all need-based aid and include, but are not limited to, students who:

• have a high school diploma or the equivalent (Exceptions are made for students in the Program for the Exceptionally Gifted and Early College Academy.);
• are accepted or enrolled as full-time, regular students (NOTE: A few federal programs can provide some assistance to students who are less than full-time.);
• are degree candidates or in certain certificate programs
• are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens;
• maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a degree at Mary Baldwin.

Applying for Aid
There are three general types of financial aid awards that students and families receive: grants/scholarships, loans, and jobs. Grants/scholarships represent any form of financial aid that can be used to meet the cost of education without future obligations to repay. For more information on outside scholarships, go to www.fastweb.com. Loans are money that either students or parents can borrow to cover educational expenses. Loans must be repaid with interest in the future. Jobs allow students to work, giving them the opportunity to gain both valuable experience and money to help pay for education-related expenses. Each of these three general types of aid — grants/scholarships, loans, and jobs — can be awarded based on either a family’s financial need or some type of non-need criteria, such as a student’s educational accomplishments or state of residence.

To apply for need-based aid at Mary Baldwin University, a family must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal government for processing each academic year (www.fafsa.ed.gov). The FAFSA is the only form the university requires for students applying for aid based on a family’s need. If Mary Baldwin University is listed on a student’s FAFSA (School Code 003723), the aid office will receive the results of processing directly from the government in electronic form (ISIR). The student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). It is suggested that the SAR be reviewed carefully to check for errors or requests for clarification. Corrections can be made electronically by the students and parents at the FAFSA website, www.fafsa.ed.gov.

For more information on federal aid, access www.studentaid.gov. It is strongly recommended that Virginia residents complete the Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) application shortly after the student applies to the university. The TAG application must be returned to the aid office before July 31 preceding enrollment. The original application is valid, in most cases, to cover the four years a student is enrolled continuously at the university.

Receiving Aid
Aid not based on need is credited to a student’s financial aid record as soon as the aid office becomes aware of such aid. Aid based on need will only be awarded after a student’s FAFSA is successfully processed by the government and the results (ISIR) are received by the aid office. The processing of the data the family and student supplied on the FAFSA will result in an Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. A student’s need is the difference between the cost of attendance at Mary Baldwin and the student’s EFC.

Total Cost of Attendance
= Financial Need

The cost of attendance is prescribed by federal regulations and includes:

  • the tuition and fees the student owes directly to the university;
    • the room and board at the university or an allowance for room and board for a commuting student;
    • a standard allowance for books;
    • a standard allowance for miscellaneous expenses;
    • an allowance for transportation;
    • an allowance for loan fees (if applicable).

The Office of Financial Aid and Student Campus Employment will prepare an aid package and mail this information to the student’s home address as soon as possible. All non-need-based aid will be considered as part of a need-based aid package first along with eligibility for Pell Grants and other federal grants. If there is need remaining after these forms of aid are considered, the aid office will award loans and grants to fill as much of the remaining need as funding and institutional awarding policy will allow. Students may apply for work-study positions at the work-study website: go.marybaldwin.edu/financial_aid/sep.

When the student receives an award letter, she will be asked to make decisions on which types of aid she will accept. The student may also need to complete further paper work depending on individual aid situations. Explanations of what is needed by the aid office to complete a student’s aid package will be found in the FA portal. Students are asked to read all information carefully and respond promptly to any requests by the aid office.

An undergraduate student must take 12 semester hours in any given semester to be considered full time and eligible for full time aid. (May Term is optional.  For students taking May term classes, May term hours are added to spring semester hours to determine enrollment status for federal student aid and the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant. May term hours do not count towards spring enrollment status for institutional financial aid. Students enrolled at least half time (six semester hours) remain eligible for continuation of some federal aid and loan deferment benefits. If a student receives any aid from outside sources (e.g., ROTC scholarships, outside agency scholarships, etc.), federal rules require that this aid be reported to the aid office as soon as the student becomes aware of eligibility. Rules further indicate that, in some cases adjustments to other aid may be required.

Disbursing Aid
Once a student receives an award package and complies with all the regulatory requirements, her aid package is set. Aid will only be disbursed to a student’s business office account once she has enrolled in course work and that enrollment has been verified at the end of “add/drop” each semester. In the meantime, aid will appear on any early billing as “unapplied.” It is hoped this will assist parents when planning for expenses. Again, how aid is disbursed or credited to the student account depends on the form it takes: grants/scholarships, job, or loan. Grants/scholarships given as aid through the university are credited directly to the student’s account. This disbursement only occurs after all regulatory obligations on the part of the student are met to the satisfaction of the Office of Financial Aid and Student Campus Employment. Jobs are offered through the Federal Work-Study Program and through the university. The student is paid by the hour, and a paycheck is issued each month to the student. The student may turn earnings over to the business office to pay tuition for the next semester, or may use the earnings to pay for books and personal expenses. Payment is issued only for hours worked and only up to the amount awarded. Jobs require specified hours of work each week. A job contract will be provided showing eligible hours and wages per week. The job obligation to Mary Baldwin is considered an employment commitment in the business world. Loans are not immediately credited to the student’s account. Direct Stafford Loans and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) will be disbursed to the student’s business office account only after the “add/drop” period ends and the aid office has reviewed each student’s enrollment and continued eligibility, and the required master promissory notes and student loan entrance counseling have been completed. This process usually takes a month. Students should not anticipate this money being credited to the account any sooner than this. Also, federal regulations mandate that loans come in two disbursements. Finally, if a student leaves the university during an academic period, aid funds awarded to the student are refunded to the appropriate aid fund under the policy described in this catalog as “Pro Rata Refund Procedures.” Questions about billing should be directed to the Student Accounts Office.

All loans taken through the Office of Financial Aid and Student Campus Employment at Mary Baldwin should be considered by students and parents as a serious commitment that must be met in the future. Students (and parents in the case of the credit-based parent loan for undergraduate students-PLUS) may be eligible for, depending on FAFSA information, financial need and borrowing eligibility, Direct Stafford, and PLUS. Graduate students may be eligible for unsubsidized Stafford loans and credit-based Graduate PLUS. Repayment will not begin until the student leaves the university or falls below half time status. There is a grace period after leaving the university or falling below half time status. Students will be counseled on their rights and responsibilities at the time they completed student loan entrance counseling. Direct Stafford Loans are student loans with two separate and distinct awards based on a family’s need. Loans awarded to cover need are Subsidized Direct Stafford Loans. Students will not be charged interest on Subsidized Direct Stafford Loans while they are continuously enrolled with at least half-time status. Students not eligible for Subsidized Direct Stafford Loans may be eligible for an Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan. Interest on unsubsidized loans will accrue from the time the loan is disbursed; Students may elect to pay the interest as it accrues, or defer paying it until loan repayment begins, when a student leaves, graduates or drops below half time status. Each student’s yearly eligibility for Direct Stafford Loans has been established by the federal government as follows:

Freshman $5,500
Sophomore $6,500
Junior/Senior $7,500
Graduate $20,500

Students who are independent by federal definition and dependent students whose parents are denied a PLUS may borrow additional Unsubsidized Direct Stafford funds. If eligible, a student may borrow up to $4,000 as a freshman or sophomore, up to $5,000 as a junior or senior. Undergraduate dependent students may borrow up to $31,000 in Direct Stafford Loans during a college career, but only $23,000 may be subsidized. Independent undergraduates, or dependent undergraduate students whose parents do not qualify for federal parent loans, may borrow up to $57,500 in Direct Stafford Loans but only $23,000 of the total can be subsidized. Graduate students can borrow up to $138,500 over a student’s entire graduate and undergraduate career. Graduate students are only eligible for Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans and Graduate PLUS loans (credit based). All Direct Stafford Loan borrowers are required to complete entrance and exit counseling sessions detailing loan obligations and the repayment process. Any student with questions on loans is encouraged to contact the aid office at any time before, during, and after her enrollment at Mary Baldwin. Finally, PLUS may be taken by parents of dependent undergraduate students up to the cost of attendance minus other financial aid. This is a credit-based loan for which repayment is the responsibility of the parent. Interest will be charged on the loan from the date of the first disbursement, and repayment generally begins 60 days after the final disbursement of the loan each year. Therefore, parents will begin repayment while the student is in school. Deferment options are available. Detailed information accompanies all Direct Stafford Loans and PLUS applications and promissory notes and may also be found at www.studentaid.ed.gov. Please read this information carefully.

Reapplying for Aid
It is necessary to reapply for all financial aid based on family need. Students are required to submit updated family financial information each year. Most returning students will receive a FAFSA renewal reminder from the federal processor that they may complete a renewal FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. For the 2018–19 academic year and going forward, it will be possible to file the FAFSA October 1 using the prior-prior year income and tax information. We encourage all students and families to use the IRS data retrieval process that is offered in the FAFSA. The reminder will be sent to either the student’s e-mail as reported on the FAFSA or to the home address reported on the FAFSA. If a student does not receive a reminder, she may still be able to complete a renewal FAFSA online. If she is unable to complete a renewal FAFSA, she may complete a new FAFSA. In either case, for a dependent undergraduate student (under the age of 24), both the student and a parent must submit FSA ID numbers or signatures for the FAFSA to be processed. The university will try to keep a student’s need based aid package as constant as possible through the undergraduate career.

Students who reapply for aid must continue to meet all the eligibility requirements listed above. Satisfactory academic progress is also required for renewal of aid. Students receiving financial assistance must make at least minimum satisfactory progress during their years of study at Mary Baldwin. Progress is measured at the end of each semester. The university offers a four-year program for a bachelor’s degree. However, we acknowledge that occurrences such as illness, change of major, and disruption of the program by unexpected events or some period of academic difficulty could extend the program to a fifth year. Therefore, the minimum quantitative and qualitative standards of satisfactory academic progress (SAP) are required by the federal government and Mary Baldwin in order to continue to receive aid. Graduate students must have at least a 3.0 GPA and must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of attempted work. One semester of satisfactory academic progress warning will be permitted after a student falls below minimum SAP the first time. If, after the period of warning, a student does not return to the standard minimum progress for that year, aid will not be offered again until minimum standards are achieved. Appeals concerning progress may be addressed to the MBU Office of Financial Aid and Student Campus Employment. Students should bear in mind that these minimum standards are not recommended progress. A student should consult with her academic advisor to develop a program that permits graduation in four years and work toward that goal.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) For Financial Aid

Semester Hours Earned Minimum GPA/Class Level
Freshman 0–26 1.65
Sophomore 27–57 1.75
Junior 58–89 1.95
Senior+ 90–126 2.00

Semester hours: This number of earned credit hours determines your class level.

Minimum GPA/Class level: This is the minimum cumulative GPA you must maintain while classified at the specified class level.

Completion Rate and Maximum Time Frame: You must maintain a 67% cumulative completion rate of the courses in which you enroll. You may not receive financial aid for coursework in excess of 150% of the required hours for your degree. You must also have achieved at least the minimum grade point average at each class level.

Degree Hours to Complete Max Hours May Attempt with Aid
Bachelors 126 189
RN to BSN 120 180
MLitt 36 54
MFA 66 (including MLitt) 99
MAT Elem or Middle School 39 58.5
MAT Special Ed 42 63
MEd 34 51
MS – ABA 35 52.5
MS – Higher Ed 38 57
MBA 30 45
MHA 39 58.5
MSN 36 54
MHA/MBA 45 67.5
DPT 125 187.5
OTD 117 175.5
PPOTD 30 45
MSPA 121 181.5