Whether you are already licensed and teaching in a K-12 classroom or working in another position related to the field of education — such as a museum educator or nature center interpreter — our endorsement areas invite you to specialize in areas of emphasis that distinguish our program from others around the country.
Master of Science
- Applied Behavior Analysis: Examines the principles of learning and behavior and explores their effective use in applied settings such as schools, hospitals, mental health settings, and in business.
- Higher Education: Prepare for work as a student affairs professional, personnel management , admissions professional or other mid-level leadership positions in higher education. Learn how to work with adult learners as an educational practitioner in organizations.
Master of Education
- Autism Spectrum Disorders: This concentration is tailored to health services professionals and parents who work with and provide support to individuals with ASD in schools and in the greater community.
- Elementary Education: Make an early impression. This concentration is for existing teachers who want to complete endorsement requirements for Elementary Education PK-6.
- English as a Second Language: Designed for practicing teachers who wish to add the ESL credential to their current teaching license, this emphasis addresses one of the fastest-growing needs in today’s classrooms.
- Environment-Based Learning: Reading on the River and Math in the Garden are just a few of the courses that encourage teachers to take their lessons outdoors in this groundbreaking curriculum.
- Gifted Education: Mary Baldwin’s unique Program for the Exceptionally Gifted demonstrates the importance of encouraging gifted students’ potential.
- Leadership: An obvious asset for those in school administrative positions, leadership in the classroom is essential for any educator.
- Reading Education: There is a nationwide need to improve the reading outcomes of students. Enhance your knowledge and practice of literacy instruction with this highly-marketable degree that prepares reading teachers and literacy coaches.
- Special Education: Special education teachers are perpetually in high demand, and intense preparation helps them address challenges in the classroom.
Fast-track option: Learn more about the BA/MEd program. MBU also offers a BA/MS option where students doing the BA in Autism Studies in Applied Behavior Analysis can complete the MS in ABA in an extra year of study.
LOCATIONS AND CLASS FORMAT
Education courses vary in format — some are completely online, some meet in-person a few times throughout a semester with coursework online (hybrid), and others meet on a regular basis. You and your advisor will work together to craft a plan that meets your needs.
Mary Baldwin University education courses are available on-site in five locations:
- Main campus in Staunton
- South Boston
HOW TO APPLY
Complete an online application.
Deadlines for applications are as follows: Fall – July 31, Spring – November 15, Summer – April 15.
Prospective students are encouraged to meet with an education advisor and/or attend an orientation session in the most convenient regional location to review admission requirements and determine the best plan of study.
You will need:
- A personal statement telling us why you are interested in teaching
- Official college transcripts (Please note: a minimum grade point average of 3.0 is required)
- Two reference forms (a part of the online application)