Graduate Financial Aid

2017–18 COSTS

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION (Master of Arts in Teaching/Master of Education)
Tuition: $495 per credit hour
Technology Fee:  $60 per semester

Tuition: $750 per credit hour
Technology Fee:  $60 per semester
Festival Fee: $50 for first and second fall semesters, $100 for third fall semester
Commencement Fee: $100 final semester before graduation

Doctor of Physical Therapy, Doctor of Occupational Therapy, Master of Science in Physician Assistant
Tuition: $34,500 per year, inclusive of fees (includes lab use, parking, and technology fees)
Graduation Fee: $100

Master of Healthcare Administration (Online Program)
Tuition: $650 per credit hour
Technology Fee: $60 per semester
Graduation Fee: $100

Tuition: $650 per credit hour
Other costs: TBA

Mary Baldwin College is an affordable value, ranked high by U.S. News & World Report among master’s-level universities in the South recognized as “Great Schools, Great Prices.”

Types of financial aid may include:

Loans: Students in our masters programs are primarily awarded student loans to help finance their graduate education. To apply for loans, you will need to complete the FAFSA orFAFSA en Español. You will be awarded the maximum loan amount for which you are eligible, and you will be able to decide how much of that you would like to borrow.

TEACH Grant: Students in the Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs may apply for the TEACH grant.

Scholarships and Tuition Waivers: Some students may receive scholarships or tuition waivers from their academic department. Contact your department for details.

Graduate students enroll in their programs throughout the year — fall, spring and summer. Because of their unusual timing, we try to work within your schedule wherever possible. The further ahead you plan (at least 10 to 12 weeks preceding enrollment), the less anxiety you will have. You should allow time for:

  • the FAFSA to reach the federal processor and be processed
  • us to receive and process the results in the form of an award letter (you must be accepted by your program before an aid award letter is issued)
  • to review and return any necessary documents

The earlier you start the process, the easier it will be if any glitches occur. Keep the following steps in mind:

  1. Informational materials are automatically sent to new applicants for admission.
  2. You should fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA or FAFSA en Español) using data from a completed tax return (see the instruction booklet for other documents needed) and mail it to the federal processor or file it electronically. Remember, file early and list Mary Baldwin’s Title IV Code (003723) on the form.
  3. If you are an undergraduate Virginia resident, file the Tuition Assistance Grant application with our office. The primary deadline is July 31.
  4. If you listed Mary Baldwin on your FAFSA, the federal processor electronically sends us your Student Aid Report (SAR) at the same time they send a hard copy to you at your home address or the e-mail address you provided them.
  5. We prepare an aid package listing all available aid for the fall and spring semesters. If you are selected for verification, a verification worksheet will be required before we are able to send your award. The award package will indicate all documents required to accept your financial aid award.
  6. “Missing Information” will delay the completion of your aid file. Letters will be mailed at regular intervals if you are missing required documents from your aid file. The letters will detail what is missing.
  7. When your aid file is complete, a final check is made and records are marked so your aid is ready to release after enrollment has been checked.
  8. After each semester’s add/drop date, enrollment status is checked and aid released to your student account in the Student Accounts Office. If you have changed your plans, your aid may have to be adjusted, resulting in delays and reduction of aid. After your aid has been released, the Business Office will issue any refund check to you at your home address.
The information you provide on the FAFSA will be used to produce a number known as the EFC (Expected Family Contribution). The EFC is based on a formula taking into account your household income and assets, number of people in the household, and how many of those people are in college, among other things.

The EFC represents how much of your income the Department of Education expects that you “should” be able to contribute. This number is used to determine your financial need, upon which your financial aid award is based. Students may be awarded grants or loans based on financial need. These amounts may vary by enrollment status, so it is important to return your Enrollment Status Form. If your plans change, it is important to notify the financial aid office so that your award can be adjusted if necessary. Most graduate students will only be awarded loans.

Once the amount of grants, loans, and/or other types of aid you will be eligible to receive is determined, we will send you an aid award package.


Your aid package is the total amount of aid of whatever types the college is able to offer you depending upon many variables including enrollment status, class level, program, your total need and funds available.

Almost all graduate students can receive a federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Students are also encouraged to seek grants from outside sources such as clubs, churches, or employers. Depending on demonstrated need and funds available, some or all types of aid could be included in the package of aid offered.


Students must reapply for federal financial aid each academic year by completing the FAFSA and completing the Enrollment Status Form.


All aid is disbursed to student accounts in the Mary Baldwin Business Office. Aid is first used to cover charges to the student’s account. Once your account is paid, you will be refunded any additional aid for use for books, transportation, and personal expenses. Refunds of aid proceeds not required for direct costs at the College will be made to the student by a check from the Mary Baldwin Business Office after the add-drop period ends and a review of enrollment status based on the official rosters of the Registrars Office has been completed. Refunds will not be available until approximately one month after the beginning of the semester. We are not able to give exact dates for individual refunds but all refunds will be made as quickly as possible after loan funds are received from the lenders.

You should not expect instant cash in hand from aid sources. The Financial Aid Office is obligated to check enrollment after the end of each semester’s add-drop period to be sure of your continuing eligibility for aid per your enrollment status. Refunds will not be issued to you from your account until the checking process is completed, which is usually about four weeks after a semester begins. You should make your plans accordingly.



Full Time: 9 or more hours of new work per semester
Half Time: 5 – 8.9 hours of new work per semester
Below Half Time: 4.9 or less hours of new work per semester


Federal and state aid is intended to support serious degree-seeking students who are making continuous satisfactory progress towards their degree. The College is required to withhold aid if satisfactory academic progress (PDF) is not made. For full requirements, refer to the college catalog.