Mary Baldwin University is grateful to the servicemen and women who serve to protect this country. It’s our turn to help guide veterans, their dependents, or the beneficiaries of transferred assistance navigate the veterans benefit process and start achieving their dreams.

Mary Baldwin provides top-notch, personalized assistance throughout the benefits process. The institution has a solid track record of working with veterans, service members, reservists, and their families. Mary Baldwin is a member of the Training and Education Alliance (TEA), has been named a Military Friendly School, and participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, a provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill.


Once you have applied to receive VA benefits, you will need to complete the Veterans Benefits Request form, found here. The School Certifying Official for Veterans Benefits can be reached by calling the Financial Aid Office at 1-800-468-2262 or at


Mary Baldwin Director of Dining Services Tracy Hiner earned a bachelors degree in business in 2012 after enrolling in the college’s Baldwin Online and Adult Programs.

“In the beginning of my Navy tour I signed up for the Montgomery GI Bill. The GI Bill could only be used after I was (honorably) discharged, eligible for 10 years from discharge date. Ten years sounds like a long time, but when you’re working and raising a family the time goes by quickly. When I decided to return to college in 2004 Mary Baldwin was my first choice based on location and level of education desired. As part of registration I only had to provide my DD214 and Mary Baldwin staff took care of the rest. During my academic tenure I received a check each month from the VA benefits office with amount based on my part-time or full-time status, and each month I called a number to verify I was a current student. Mary Baldwin University made the process easy and the GI Bill made it affordable.”


Please note: Mary Baldwin University does not, in any way, determine a student’s eligibility for VA benefits. If a student has questions about his or her status, he or she will generally be referred to the VA.


  • Students applying for their own benefits can apply online at
  • Recipients of the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) transfer of benefits have a two-step process. The veteran (spouse or parent of the student) applies to transfer the benefits, and then the student must apply to receive the benefits. Both parts of this process are also completed at
  • Application questions may be directed to the VA at 1-888-442-4551.



Please note: Except in the case of the Chapter 33 benefit, the VA does not disclose or determine the amount of expected payment to the college. Mary Baldwin receives a monthly statement of how much students in chapters 30, 33, 35, and 1606 receive after payment has been issued. Each student’s circumstances are different.  After you send your Veterans Benefits eligibility paperwork to the financial aid office, your financial aid award will be reviewed.

Chapter 30: The student is the veteran. Monthly payments are made directly to the student, who can then make payments to the college.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits): The student is the veteran. The Financial Aid Office and the Student Accounts Office work together to submit the enrollment and charges for those students to their vocational rehab counselor. Mary Baldwin bills the Veterans Reemployment Rights office directly for student’s tuition.

Chapter 33: The student is the veteran OR a parent or spouse has transferred benefits to the student. If 100 percent eligible, the VA pays the student’s net tuition (tuition minus any grant assistance specifically designated to be used towards tuition), directly to the college. If less than 100 percent eligible, the VA pays a percentage of net tuition. Most (but not all) students receive a book stipend and housing allowance that are paid directly to the student. Active-duty service members (or their dependents) receiving the housing allowance paid during active duty, students who have no group courses, and students who are less than half-time generally do not receive the housing allowance. Please note: Some students who are eligible for Chapter 33 lose the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) due to state regulations on how TAG is awarded, but it is replaced with GI Bill funding.

Chapter 35: The student is the dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran. Monthly payments are made directly to the student, who can then make payments to the college.

Chapter 1606: The student is the veteran, usually a reservist. Monthly payments are made directly to the student, who can then make payments to the college.


Once a student is eligible for benefits, he or she must contact the financial aid office to start a benefits file.

  • The student must submit something in writing to indicate what chapter of benefits will apply and when he or she plans to start using the VA benefits.
  • Students who are transferring to Mary Baldwin from another college must complete a Change in Place of Training or Program form and submit it to the Mary Baldwin financial aid office.
  • Once a student notifies the college that he or she plans to use benefits, he or she will be placed on the benefits roster. Each semester, the benefits roster will be reviewed to determine which VA benefit recipients are enrolled. Students do not need to request benefits each semester, and students will remain on the roster until they graduate, exhaust their benefits, or withdraw.
  • If a student has a Certificate of Eligibility at the time they notify the college they will receive benefits, the college will collect a copy. If a student has not yet received the certificate, the college asks that the student submit the certificate upon receipt and provide any documentation received up to that point.


MBU offers a $1,500 annual scholarship to students who were honorably discharged from military service — spouses and dependents may also qualify. Available to students enrolled in at least 6 credits per qualifying semester to receive $500 up to the annual limit. Proof of military service required. This scholarship may be used toward undergraduate or graduate classes.