MDCHS Technology Requirements
Laptops are required for MDCHS OT, PT, PA programs*. Whether evaluating your current computer, or, considering purchasing a new computer, please make sure they meet these minimum requirements to ensure you will be able to run the software required by the programs for your studies.
Please keep in mind that vendors are constantly upgrading their software and that these minimum requirements are subject to change. Also, tablets are not supported at this time.
- Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 with the latest Service Pack and patches installed
- Windows Firewall must be turned “on”
- Chromebooks are not recommended at this time, as they do not meet the requirements for some of our software vendors.
Based upon the Microsoft hardware requirements for Windows 7, 8, or 10, we recommend a minimum of
- 1.8 GHz dual-core or better processor
- 4 GB or more memory (8GB if running 64 bit software)
- 100GB Hard Disk or larger
- 10/100 mbps Ethernet Network Card
If purchasing a new computer, we recommend an i3 processor minimum, but preferably an i5 or i7 or equivalent. We also recommend 8G of memory if possible.
Apple Macintosh computers:
- Mac OS X installed (10.10 or higher)
Based on the Apple hardware requirements for Yosemite (OS X 10.10), one of the following is required:
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
We also recommend at a minimum for any Mac:
- 1.6 GHz dual-core processor
- 8 GB or more memory (RAM)
- 100GB Hard Disk or larger
Standard MacBooks (not “Pro” or “Air”) are not recommended at this time, as they do not meet the processor requirements suggested by some of our software vendors.
All computers require:
- 802.11 b/g/n wireless card
- Updated Virus Protection
- Connector that allows HDMI output
- Display capable of a resolution of 1366×768
- Webcam and speaker/microphone
- IE9 or later for Windows or current versions of Safari, Firefox or Chrome
Faculty recommends Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Some options if you do not currently own:
- A free online version is available using this link. This product is cloud-based and requires a student to be online (internet connection) to create or make changes. The software does not reside on your computer.
- USB disk drive
- 10′ to 15′ Cat-5 Ethernet cable, depending on how you will connect to the internet at home
- Surge protector
- Personal laser or inkjet printer and supplies
- Personal scanner
- Spare battery or external battery pack (Expect 8 hours or more of class time some days – please make sure that your laptop is capable of sustaining an appropriate charge.)
PC or MAC?
We do not recommend one computer over another. Our students are evenly split across both platforms. Pick the computer that you are most comfortable using, and, meets your budget.
Purchasing a new laptop?
- Once you receive it, please open your computer, set up your MBU email account, and test wi-fi connections before Orientation day.
- Consider need for extended battery life – see recent article from The Wall Street Journal.
Students in MHA, MSN, PPOTD, and RN to BSN programs are not required to have a laptop, but do need to meet the other hardware requirements:
- A PC or MAC connected to the internet (see above for detail)
- A word processing program that can create .pdf, .doc or .docx files, and may need worksheet and presentation software as well.
- Speakers, earphones, or earbuds so that you can hear the videos and/or audio files in the course
- A microphone to record voice for assignments
- Browsers and operating systems required for Blackboard are listed here.
- Students that do not have Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) can:
- Get a free online version using this link. This product is cloud-based and requires a student to be online (internet connection) to create or make changes. The software does not reside on your computer.