MSN Admissions Checklist (How to Apply)
Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences will admit new MSN students each August and January. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
|TERM||APPLICATION DEADLINE||COURSES BEGIN|
|Spring 2019||November 30, 2018||January 7, 2019|
|Fall 2019||July 31, 2019||August 19, 2019|
- College Transcripts: A bachelor’s degree in nursing is required prior to enrollment. Your official transcripts from your degree-granting institution must be sent to Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences, Mary Baldwin University, 100 Baldwin Blvd., Fishersville, VA 22939 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Unofficial transcripts are allowable for initial review of an application, however, you will not be able to enroll in our program until your official transcript has been received verifying completion of the bachelor’s degree and that you still meet the minimum GPA required.
- Application: Applications are available online.
- Test Scores: No entrance exam is required, however, applicants may submit GMAT or GRE scores if they believe the scores will strengthen their application.
- If English is not your native language, you will be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Mary Baldwin University’s TOEFL institution code is 5397. You do not need to submit scores if you:
- Earned an undergraduate or graduate degree at a U.S. college or university
- Conducted your total education in English in a native English-speaking country
- Prerequisite Courses:
|REQUIRED COURSES||Semester Hours||COMMENTS|
|Statistics||3||Can be from biology, mathematics, social sciences, business, or nursing.|
Students may apply prior to completion of the prerequisite courses, as long as a plan for completion is in place.
- GPA: A minimum of 3.0 overall GPA required. We expect that most accepted students will surpass this minimum. In addition, prerequisite courses must be completed with a “C” or better. You may qualify for conditional acceptance if your GPA does not meet minimum requirements. See below.
- RN License: Current unrestricted RN license in the Commonwealth of Virginia or state participating in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). A copy of the licensure document is required.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Essay: The personal statement should describe your reason for applying to the MSN/MHA dual degree program and how admission to the program relates to your professional goals.
- Registration Fee: You will need to submit a one-time, non-refundable registration fee of $50 once you are accepted into the program.
- Conditional Admission: Conditional Admission may be considered for students who do not fully meet all of the requirements for regular admission, but allows them to begin program coursework. If Conditional Admission is granted, the student must earn at least a 3.0 GPA during the first nine credits taken in the program.
Additional admission requirements for MSN/MBA:
- Students without a background in business, accounting, or an approved business-related field will be required to take an exam to evaluate his or her level of business knowledge. Based on exam results, applicants may be required to take one or more pre-MBA module courses offered at MBU.
Pre-MBA Module: Students without an undergraduate business or related degree will be required to take an internal exam to determine their level of business knowledge. Based on the exam results, students may need to take one or more of the competency-based pre-MBA modules. These will be online and self-paced. Areas included in these core competencies are accounting, business finance, business law, management, and marketing.
MEETING ADMISSIONS CRITERIA DOES NOT GUARANTEE ADMISSION TO THE PROGRAM.