[floated align=”right”]

Animal Research


The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is responsible for the oversight of all research activities at Mary Baldwin University that involve animals. The college’s Animal Welfare Assurance is the key document governing institutional use of research animals.  This Assurance was submitted in compliance with the Public Health Service’s Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and was approved by the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW A-4452-01). The college is also registered with the USDA in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act (#52-R-0111). IACUC approval must be obtained PRIOR to the initiation of research projects involving vertebrate animals.

Do I need IACUC approval for my research?

If a proposed research project involves vertebrate animals (warm- or cold-blooded), you must obtain IACUC approval prior to beginning research, or, if outside funding is involved, prior to submitting a grant proposal to an external funding agency (public or private).

How do I obtain IACUC approval?

To obtain IACUC approval, you must show proof of satisfactory completion of appropriate training and submit a detailed research plan (a “protocol submission form“).  Allow plenty of time before your proposed start date or proposal due date (two to three weeks).  Some projects must be reviewed at a convened IACUC meeting and revisions are sometimes necessary. Contact the current IACUC Chair for details.